My breakfast usually consists of oats, that are identified for providing well being advantages. Seems, oats are good for pores and skin too. No marvel why so many skincare merchandise have oats as a serious ingredient. In reality, as per a 2022 research printed within the US Nationwide Library of Medication, colloidal oatmeal, which is finely floor oats combined into lotions and different skincare merchandise, or bathwater, could assist to appease sunburned pores and skin. Once I ended up with pores and skin allergy, my mother even urged that I take an oatmeal tub. Let’s see what an professional has to say about this residence treatment for pores and skin allergy.
Oats are hailed as a wholesome dietary selection, primarily resulting from their excessive fiber content material, says Dr Vichitra Sharma, Marketing consultant, Division of Dermatology, Amrita Hospital, Faridabad. It aids in selling digestive well being and probably reducing levels of cholesterol. Oats provide a supply of sustained vitality and contribute to a way of satiety.
Does oatmeal enhance pores and skin?
Oatmeal can ship quite a few advantages to the pores and skin when integrated into skincare routines and merchandise. These benefits predominantly stem from its inherent qualities and soothing traits. Listed below are a number of the advantages of oatmeal for pores and skin:
1. Oatmeal alleviates irritated pores and skin
Oatmeal boasts anti-inflammatory properties, providing solace and reduction to irritated or infected pores and skin. It’s incessantly used to eliminate discomfort related to circumstances like eczema, psoriasis, sunburn and bug bites.
2. Oatmeal moisturises dry pores and skin
Oatmeal comprises beta-glucans that set up a protecting barrier on the pores and skin’s floor, successfully locking in moisture, the professional tells Heath Photographs. This proves notably advantageous for folks with dry or delicate pores and skin, because it supplies hydration and alleviates dryness and itching.
3. Oatmeal supplies mild exfoliation
Finely floor oatmeal serves as a gentle exfoliant, aiding within the removing of lifeless pores and skin cells and unclogging pores. This leaves the pores and skin smoother and softer, all with out inflicting undue irritation or harm.
4. Oatmeal balances sebum manufacturing
Oatmeal performs a job in regulating the pores and skin’s oil manufacturing, making it appropriate for these with oily or acne-prone pores and skin. It cleanses the pores and skin with out stripping it of important moisture, so it reduces the probability of extreme oiliness.
Choose Matters of your curiosity and allow us to customise your feed.
5. Oatmeal diminishes redness
Oatmeal’s anti-inflammatory properties scale back redness and blotchiness within the pores and skin. This makes it a superb ingredient for soothing delicate or rosacea-prone pores and skin, says Dr Sharma.
Does oatmeal assist allergic reactions?
Oatmeal can be utilized in numerous methods to alleviate signs of allergic reactions. Nevertheless, folks with extreme allergic reactions ought to seek the advice of a physician first. Right here’s use oatmeal for allergy:
1. Oatmeal tub
• Fill a bath with lukewarm water and place a muslin bag crammed with finely floor colloidal oatmeal underneath the operating water to create an oatmeal-infused tub.
• Soak within the tub for 15 to twenty minutes to appease itching, redness and irritation that every one pop up throughout allergic reactions like hives or pores and skin rashes.
2. Oatmeal paste
• Combine finely floor oatmeal with water to kind a thick paste.
• Apply the paste on to the affected pores and skin space, and permit it to sit down for 15 to twenty minutes.
• Rinse with cool water to cut back itching and irritation.
3. Oatmeal face masks
• Mix finely floor oatmeal with yogurt, honey or aloe vera gel to create a relaxing face masks.
• Gently apply to facial pores and skin, however keep away from the attention space.
• Go away it on for 15 to twenty minutes earlier than rinsing with lukewarm water to alleviate facial pores and skin affected by allergic reactions or redness.
4. Oatmeal compress
• Create a potent oatmeal infusion by steeping oatmeal in sizzling water and straining the liquid.
• Let it cool to room temperature and soak a clear material or cotton pad within the oatmeal infusion.
• Apply the soaked material to the affected pores and skin space for 10 to fifteen minutes to cut back itching and irritation.
You can even go for oatmeal-based skincare merchandise which might be available in shops. Whereas oatmeal is mostly protected for most individuals, be sure to shouldn’t have an oatmeal allergy earlier than utilizing it for allergic reactions. Additionally, it might be finest to get your pores and skin allergy checked out by a dermatologist earlier than utilizing any residence treatments to deal with it.